Sunday, March 2, 2008

MTP Jumped the Shark

I have heard it said that Tim Russert reinvigorated Meet the Press once upon a time. Tim has been under the gun lately for sexism and/or bias against Hillary Clinton, for being a mouthpiece and easy interviewer for Cheney, and for other sins.

I do think he is selectively tough on certain guests, but that's not my complaint today. Mine is his choice of guests. I hadn't really thought about a political talk show jumping the shark until today. NBC really needs a new host to bore my wife on Sunday mornings.

Today's guests included:

* James Carville, Democrat
* Mary Matalin, Republican

What a second! Aren't they married? But they disagree! How novel! They should do commercials! Where's the sitcom?

Other guests include perennial loser Bob Shrum, Democrat, and another Washington establishment consultant, Mike Murphy.

Four has-been retreads saying nothing that hasn't been said a thousand times all week by the usual cast of purveyors of DC conventional group-think. Nuggets of wisdom so far: 1) Hillary's "crisis at 3 AM" ad stinks; 2) If Hillary doesn't win Texas and Ohio, she's finished; 3) Republicans hope there's chaos in the Democratic nominating process; 4) Mary Matalin is upset George H.W. Bush lost in 1992, thanks to Perot, not her husband's candidate; and 5) There is no 5.

And they get paid for this.

I really should go out for a run. I've got the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler in a month and I haven't been running because of Achilles and calf soreness. Hopefully new insoles will help.

Update: I ran a 5k, but I'm not sold on the insoles. My Achilleses feel good, but the arch support hasn't molded to the shape of my foot yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MTP basically has a few sets of panelists: Last week, they had David Brooks, Doris Goodwin, Michele Noris, and Churck Todd. It was terrific, illuminating. I felt smarter afterwards.

But when he drags out the partisan hacks, it's never a good idea to hit Play on the Tivo