Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Best ribbon ever



Seen at 3rd St. SE and Virginia Ave. at approximately 12:45 PM on February 6, 2008. Is this McCain's new slogan?

In other news, there is only one remaining U.S. veteran of World War I. As many of you know, I have an annual "Armistice Day" party to commemorate the end of that war. When I was a kid, I loved watching WWI documentaries on TV. I loved the primitive tanks, the primitive planes, the strange scenes of men on horseback going up against machine guns. When I got older, I more clearly understood the sheer pointlessness of WWI. Seriously, did anyone win the Great War? There were certainly losers--Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, Czarist Russia--but who really won? With unfortunate results, perhaps the only real winner was Japan. Frank Buckles, 107, of Charles Town, West Virginia, you are the last remaining World War I veteran. You have a standing invitation to the 80th Annual Armistice Day Party on November 11, 2008.

No comments: